Thursday, April 14, 2016

Books and Things...

I love to read books.

Every start of the new year, I set a goal for myself to read roughly 50 books, figuring on reading 1-ish book a week.

I love GoodReads.com for this very reason (and many more). It helps me keep track of what I've read, where I've left off in a book (if I remember to keep what page I'm on up to date), how close I am to reaching (and exceeding) my reading goal, to name a few.

I can't stress how much I ***LOVE*** how it keeps track of my books and some statistics (like how many pages I've read in 'x' year). Yay numbers!

One of my favorite books I've read this year is Nimona. It's a graphic novel by Noelle Stevenson, where the main character is a strong female character. Here's a little blurb I found on Amazon.com:

Nemeses! Dragons! Science! Symbolism! All these and more await in this brilliantly subversive, sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson. Featuring an exclusive epilogue not seen in the web comic, along with bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages throughout, this gorgeous full-color graphic novel has been hailed by critics and fans alike as the arrival of a “superstar” talent (NPR.org).
Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are.
But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.

It's awesome in an unexpected way. Its a refreshing read about the antithesis to the normal "hero" (and usually male) perspective. It is told from the main male character's perspective but the story line heavily revolves around the the female character.

I am currently, since Jan 1 of this year, I'm 50% way through my goal at 25 books, have only done a handful of rereads, and broadened my reading scope to include more graphic novels.


On a slightly different note, I need to plan a visit to the beach. A "long" weekend, and fortunately since my work week includes the weekend (Sat, and every other Sun), my "weekend" is during the week, kudos for hitting places slightly off of their busiest times.

No comments: